Lead Based Paint
Why was it ever used in the first place?!
Lead-based paint is a type of paint that was commonly used in homes prior to 1978. It was banned by the Consumer Product Safety Commission due to the health hazards it posed, especially to children, who are more susceptible to lead poisoning. If your home was built before 1978, there's a possibility that it contains lead-based paint.
The most common way to detect lead-based paint is through a Certified Inspection. The inspector will perform a visual inspection and may take samples of the paint for laboratory analysis. It's important to note that lead-based paint that's in good condition and not deteriorating does not necessarily pose a hazard.
Lead-based paint was used in the past because it was durable, moisture-resistant, and provided a smooth finish. However, it was later discovered that prolonged exposure to lead can cause serious health problems, including anemia, high blood pressure, and damage to the brain and nervous system.
If lead-based paint is detected in your home, there are various treatment options available. One option is to Encapsulate the paint, which involves applying a 'special' coating over the lead-based paint to seal it in. Another option is to completely remove the lead-based paint through a process called abatement. It's important to hire a certified professional for both encapsulation and abatement, as improper removal can actually increase the risk of lead exposure.
For possible financial assistance for the remedying of Lead-Based paints, some homeowner's insurance policies may cover the cost of lead-based paint treatment or repairs, while others may not. It's important to review your policy carefully and speak with your insurance agent to understand your coverage.
If you're buying a home, it's important to have an inspection done before closing to check for lead-based paint if the home was built before 1978 and to check for other potential hazards. If you're a Homeowner who wants to sell your pre-1978 home, there is an addendum you'll need to fill out and sign, for the sale As a real estate agent, I can provide you with more information on lead-based paint and help connect you with certified inspectors and professionals to ensure the safety of your home.
A bit of history
Lead-based paint was used in homes and buildings for centuries, due to its durable and versatile material structure which was easily made into a paint. However, it wasn't until the early 20th century that concerns about the health effects of lead exposure began to emerge.
In the 1920s, public health officials began to notice that children living in older homes were suffering from lead poisoning at alarming rates. Further investigation revealed that the source of the lead was often lead-based paint, which was commonly used on the interior and exterior of homes and buildings.
Despite growing evidence of the dangers of lead exposure, lead-based paint continued to be used well into the 20th century. It wasn't until 1978 that the U.S. government finally banned the use of lead-based paint in residential buildings.